If you have dry powder poisoning, it is important to remain calm and call 911. The first thing that you should do when the poison is on your body is to remove any contaminated clothing and place them inside a plastic bag or bucket. Next, use soap and water to wash the area where the poison was present as quickly as possible. Try not to touch other areas of your skin because this will spread the contamination even more.
You may be instructed by emergency responders how long before washing off with soap and water in order for it not to worsen symptoms of exposure. Aftercare: Once you are no longer exposed to the poison and have washed off with soap, it’s important to dry your skin. This will help limit any additional exposure or irritation. If there is still powder on your skin after washing, use cornstarch as an absorbent agent for future contact with other people or objects that may be contaminated by the toxin. Finally, if necessary talk to a medical professional about taking antibiotics in case of possible infection caused by toxic substances from this type of poisoning. If you would like more information about how to protect yourself after coming into contact with any form of hazardous materials please call Napa County Department of Public Health at (707) 253-4300 during normal business hours Monday through Friday