As time passes, many parties come to terms with the knowledge that they will have to pay expensively every other year to maintain a reliable data system. This becomes prominently visible when your user community is already fully migrated from the Exchange on-premise to Exchange Online (Office 365).
The financial input associated with data migration comprises varying types of layers that include the following:
- The time taken to manage and troubleshoot ICT-related problems.
- The organization’s vault servers
- Costs incurred from the licensing and its maintenance
- Organization SQL server and licensing
- The time taken by legal staff to search, cull and produce data for eDiscovery in two data repositories
The purposes for which the costs are incurred are not simple to solve or preserve the on-premise environment for the Vault.
There is a need to take care of the related concerns by carrying out a data migration. One of the leading reasons is to reduce some of the annual rises in the costs. The other cause of mitigating the concern is ensuring that users and legal teams have a lighter workload. Employing the proper techniques is paramount if you want to get the work done.
There are two ways that you can use to migrate the legacy data:
Manual/Enterprise Vault Migration Tools
This is a migration process that employs two steps: Extracting the data to PST and Getting the PST data into Office 365
A wizard is involved when extracting data to PST. There are some options when exporting the data. Parties can first choose to engage in a process that consists in exporting the files that are most recent than those that have taken some time.
Afterward, they can employ a mechanism to retain files of a particular category or from a specific folder. Another step will include exporting the whole archive. However, the wizard has a demerit since it only achieves a partial bit of the process, which results from ignoring some libraries like those in public folders.
Export of the PST data to Office 365 is a process that employs two options discussed below.
1. PST Importer through the Network
- The first process involves uploading the PST files that were created, followed by storing the files in an Azure storage location that is not permanent.
- Utilizing the Office 365 Import Service to move the PST data to the mailboxes on the Office 365 tenant
Note that this wizard is free but limits the number of uploads that one can make on a particular day. As a result, there could be more shipment and storage charges if you need to add data to Azure and use it for storage.
2. Drive Shipping
To put this option into application, you can follow the steps outlined below.
- Begin by copying the created PST files to the BitLocker hard drives that are encrypted
- Ship the drives to Microsoft physically.
- The Microsoft staff will then upload the data to a specific temporal Azure storage.
- Import the PST data to mailboxes in your Office 365 tenant using the Office 365 Import Service.
Unlike the former free option, this one has a $2000 charge. The process has further hurdles since the drivers have to be physically moved, which may take some time while ensuring not to delete the data before the process has been completed.
Another aspect to contemplate is the tasks involved during the entire migration process, with some jobs done manually.
Full-featured Enterprise Vault Migration Tool
The market has several tools to perform enterprise vault migration without the rigorous methods outlined above. Furthermore, some of these tools can achieve more functionalities than the former. Some of the things to be done for a successful migration to Office 365 from the Vault include:
- Reporting on progress
- Communicating with the users
- Sufficient preparation to move the data repositories
- Data copying
- Executing tasks on Office 365
- Performing tasks on Enterprise-Vault
A Look into the Most Preferable Approach
A closer comparison of the two processes unveils that the manual process is highly problematic and tiresome. Moreover, many things need to be completed before the entire process is considered successive. On the contrary, the other tool accomplishes the functions easily.
In conclusion, the data migration process is quite an involving process due to its nature. To achieve the strategy, parties should use available tech innovations to ascertain a smooth transition.